Make this your homepage
World News
Home > World News
'US Central Command still assessing deadly drone strike in Kabul'
TIWN
'US Central Command still assessing deadly drone strike in Kabul'
PHOTO : TIWN

Washington, Sep 16 (TIWN) The US Central Command is "still assessing" the results of the deadly August 29 drone strike in Kabul which was alleged to have killed multiple Afghan civilians, the Pentagon said.

Kirby's remarks were in response to a question over media investigations that suggested the U.S. military might have mistaken an aid worker for a suicide bomber in the Aug. 29 drone strike in Kabul during its military withdrawal from Afghanistan.  Kirby defended the assault, saying that it was "taken to prevent an imminent attack." He added that Central Command has so far had no plans to put investigators on the ground, but promised that the Pentagon will be "as transparent about the outcomes as we can." 

The U.S. Central Command said on Aug. 29 that it launched a drone strike on a vehicle in Kabul, which it claimed had eliminated an "imminent" threat, posed by ISIS-K, an Afghanistan-based offshoot of the Islamic State, to the Hamad Karzai International Airport, where evacuations of U.S. service members and personnel were underway.  "We are confident we successfully hit the target," the Central Command said in a statement. "Significant secondary explosions from the vehicle indicated the presence of a substantial amount of explosive material." Mark Milley, chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, has called it a "righteous strike" with procedures correctly followed.  But separate investigations by The New York Times and The Washington Post have identified the vehicle driver as Zemarai Ahmadi, a 43-year-old electrical engineer working for Nutrition and Education International, a U.S. aid group based in Pasadena, California.

Add your Comment
Comments (0)

Special Articles

Saumen Sarkar Saumen Sarkar
Anirban Mitra Anirban Mitra